Implementing Classroom Management


Classroom management may be one of the more difficult parts of teaching to get the hang of. Some students may be very up-front distractions while others would be a bit more secretive in their activities. There are many ways to go about managing your classroom but some of the most common methods are, calling out the behavior, speaking to the student after class and proximity control. During my student teaching, I have no doubt that I will have at least one instance where I will need to use classroom management techniques with my students. I hope to minimize this by having my classroom expectations and consequences posted where the students can see them. By showing my students what behaviors are expected of them and what consequences they will receive I hope to discourage negative behavior in the classroom. I also hope to be able to use classroom management techniques that are as little a distraction as possible to the rest of my class, because if they weren’t distracted by the student(s) who was/were acting up I wouldn’t want to cause their distraction.



During my lab activities, classroom management wasn’t a real issue as my classmates still remained on task, or at least appeared to, even if they were supposed to be acting out. This helped a bit in making me comfortable while presenting my lessons but I know from my micro-teaching and life knowledge lesson that real students are unlikely to behave like this. I hope to improve my classroom management abilities over the course of my student teaching but I am unsure of how exactly to proceed.


What classroom management strategies have you found to be the most successful and what do you do if a student does not stop acting out?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running the Classroom

First Days of Teaching