Inquiry Based Learning

During this past week, we learned about using inquiry-based learning to plan our lessons. We went to a FAST symposium to learn more about how to use inquiry-based lessons and different ways to do so. During this symposium, we presented our inquiry-based lessons. I presented a part of my micro-unit assessment on pollinators and agriculture. During this assessment students needed to create a design for a pollinator garden using specific criteria, such as pollinator types and different flowers. I'd thought that this lesson went over fairly well, as my classmates all seemed to do fairly well with the lesson. However, I chose to change it slightly for the students as I felt that the original version may take too much time.

Changing lessons is an important part of teaching, because if something doesn't work with the lesson then it will need to be edited so that future lessons can work better. By adapting lessons overtime you will be able to make the best lessons and units possible for your students. I also learned that even though I may think that a lesson goes well not everyone may get what I had hoped they did out of it. There may always be at least one person who doesn't get what was intended out of the lesson and this is one reason why lessons need to be revised.

I plan to apply inquiry-based learning as different types of assessments, both foundational and summative assessments. Having students use what they have learned, or use context clues, to come to an answer for a given problem seems to be a good way to assess their abilities in a semi-practical way.

How have you used inquiry-based learning in your classrooms, or how do you plan to use it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running the Classroom

First Days of Teaching