Running the Classroom


This week during student teaching I taught two different classes. An eighth-grade class and a seventh-grade class. I also got to assist in facilitating a dissection in two advanced animal science classes. Each of these experiences was interesting in its own way. During the dissections, I found that I am still not completely comfortable with dissections. While I know anatomy fairly well and can point out different organs in images that of dissecting something makes me uncomfortable. I know that depending upon what school I end up at I may need to lead some dissections on my own. Due to this, I will need to work towards becoming more comfortable dissecting things. For those of you who perform dissections with your students, what have you done to become more comfortable with the process? What other similar activities would I be able to do with students until I get more comfortable?


I enjoyed teaching the middle schoolers, as for the most part they seemed more enthusiastic about the topic. However, I know that I need to work on my clarity especially when it comes to giving directions and expectations on activities. I have stated to different individuals before where I feel that my main issue in regards to this is that I do not know what I would have needed to have been told to complete a specific activity. It might be that in some cases I made the activity or that I mostly understand how it is meant to go, but this makes it a bit difficult for me to gauge what directions I need to give the students. Do I need to give them step by step instructions, a basic outline of what is needed, or can I just tell them what I want them to have at the end of the activity and let them figure it out? What methods have you used to gauge how much guidance your students need in different activities? Also, how do you know when, if ever, you are giving them too much information?


The other problem that I have had this week is classroom management. Dr. McLean has helped me this week with the management of the eighth-graders, as I am not entirely sure yet how to manage their behavior. I know different classroom management techniques, but I don’t know when best to implement them. When, if ever, should I raise my voice, when should I stop talking and wait for them to calm down on their own, how do I determine which method is the most effective for my students? However, I think the most important question may be what do I do when my students as a whole simply don’t listen? I can’t send them all to the office so what should I do to get them back on track?

Comments

  1. Abbie, it sounds like you are learning a lot. to help with giving directions I tend to write more down then to give them verbally so I remember them and I can direct students back to them. Also in my lesson plans I write my directions down when I am completing the activity or lab. I will also do the activity or lab before I give it to students. Now if you are doing inquiry this is a different. Use the inquiry chart given to you at PSU. As far as classroom management, keep trying different techniques and you will find what works with you and when it best works. Be consistent and fair with the students. Find what motivates them. If you assign them partners and they work well and do what you ask then let them pick them next time. Simple but it can be powerful in small doses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbie,

    It sounds like you had a great week of learning yourself. I have found that when ever I am I unfamiliar or uncomfortable with an activity that I like to practice it prior to having students in front of me. Practice dissections prior to teaching them. As far as classroom management this one can be tricky as you know every situation is different. You will have to find your style of management- as far as yelling- I have never found it to work as an everyday tool. I reserve yelling for outlandishly serious situations... my students would tell you that I might yell once a year. I have found that yelling typically just forces kids to shut down. Try proximity control and work from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbie,

    Thanks for asking so many great questions!

    Let's start with directions. Whenever you are starting out with a new group, it is helpful to make directions as detailed as possible so both you and the students know what is expected. Providing hard copies to students so they can review them as you go over them is also great. With middle schools, you can also have them underline key words, phrases, or numbers that are important for each step to help emphasize what it is that they need to do. Over time, you can transition to less detailed directions that turn over more ownership of what to do to the students if they are able to handle it. I also second what Katie said in that its important for you to review the directions for every activity beforehand and make notes of the important steps or places where the students might get confused.

    As for classroom management, it can be tough, especially when you are walking into a new group of students that is already used to one teacher. Raising your voice/yelling is never super effective and isn't a very positive way to get the attention of your students. Figuring out what works best is a trial and error process and may take a little while. Stick to your guns, and don't be afraid to refer back to your classroom procedures, expectations, and consequences as many times as you need to. Consistency with that is key. The use of signal words or a certain sound where students have to respond back can work well if you have a rowdy group. An example of this is where the teacher says "Red Robin" and the students respond with "yum" as a sign that they are paying attention. You can also do this with clapping patterns. Repeat whatever the signal is as many times as it takes for all of the students to respond, and they will quickly learn to do it right away. Using a timer or signal sounds for activities provides clean boundaries of how long students have to complete a task, and when the time is up. This can also help with focus and less talking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Days of Teaching