Problem Solving Assessment



Problem Solving Assessment


During this lesson, I gave my students an assessment of assessing water quality with chemical tests and macroinvertebrates. I brought in water test strips, sample water from my aquarium and images of macroinvertebrates.  My plan for future use of this lesson is to use the liquid chemical tests instead of the test strips, I would also have actual macroinvertebrates for my students to look at.

I think this lesson relates well to what I know about teaching and learning. Prior to this lesson, my students will have learned what they needed to in order to perform this assessment. Such as how to conduct a chemical test, how to identify macroinvertebrates and how to collect them. My students will use these skills to solve a problem related to their lesson, in order to show the skills that they gained.

One thing that I learned from this is that during activities I may have to step back a little bit. However, I will also need to make sure I explain the procedures clearly so I won’t need to hover. On another note, I would still need to observe them closely during this lesson, as they may accidentally hurt the macroinvertebrates.

As an Agriscience teacher, I think that I would apply this by determining how closely I monitor my students based on what the lesson/activity is. Some lessons will require close observation while with other lessons occasional check-ins will likely be fine.

One question that I have is how would you adapt your observation style to fit the current lesson/assignment?

Comments

  1. I'm sorry I missed your lab, it sounds like something you would really enjoy facilitating! If you want to be able to step back a little bit, having a worksheet with clearly outlined steps could add clarity to your instructions. I am not sure if you had one or not for your lab, but it could be an idea for the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Running the Classroom

First Days of Teaching